Create a Highly Realistic Shattered Glass or Mirror Effect in Photoshop
I had some old glass cabinet doors laying around and thought it would be a nice opportunity to create a few shattered textures. Hitting them with a hammer was fun. The cleanup, not so fun.
After shooting them, I created a custom displacement map and light overlay for my favorite image. Download the textures at the bottom of this page and follow these easy steps to create a detailed shattered glass or mirror effect!
1) Open Texturelabs_Glass_146XL.jpg and Save a Copy as a PSD.
2) Convert your target layer to a Smart Object in Photoshop (Layer > Smart Objects > Convert to Smart Object)
3) Use the Filter > Distort > Displace with both values at 250 and Stretch To Fit selected. Use the PSD created in Step 1 for the Displacement Map.
4) Drag Texturelabs_Glass_147XL.jpg into your Photoshop document and scale it to fill the image. Set the layer’s blending mode to Hard Light at 50% Opacity.
5) Drag Texturelabs_Glass_145XL.jpg into your Photoshop document and scale it to fill the image. Set the layer’s blending mode to Hard Light at 100% Opacity.